• Open BETA, registration open. Please note, our forums use a separate account system compared to our main database for security purposes.

UK Women are using cannabis to reach orgasm – and an altered state of consciousness

Increasing scientific literature is starting to show how the female orgasm can elicit an altered state of consciousness.

Currently thought to be caused by a blend of nerve activity, women have described their orgasms as causing out-of-body experiences, depersonalisation, and intense emotions, for example.

Unfortunately, for many women, achieving orgasm can be difficult or even impossible – whether for mental reasons such as trauma or depression, or physical reasons such as injury or surgery. This can often lead to depression, anxiety, and reduced quality of life and relationships, along with a loss of sense of self and libido.

So where do people turn when they face such a devastating loss? While there are treatments available for female sexual dysfunction and related issues, such as hypoactive sexual desire, they don’t work for everyone and often have varying success rates.

Que our sweet lady, Mary Jane. Cannabis Sativa has been used in sexual practices for centuries in traditions such as tantra.

Tantra is a yogic philosophy that recognises the connection between the body and consciousness, focusing on the connection between body, mind, and spirit using awareness practices such as meditation. Part of tantric traditions include sexual rites that can be carried out alone or with a partner. While the aim of tantra is not the orgasm, the practice seeks to deepen connection to the spirit through the body.

Less orthodox tantric practitioners have incorporated cannabis into these rites believing the plant can help to relax the mind and body, help the practitioner achieve the necessary altered state of consciousness for ritualistic sex, and can even help with longer-lasting erections and improved lubrication.

Much like this tantric approach to the use of cannabis during sex, emerging research suggests that cannabis can help women achieve the altered states of consciousness necessary for orgasm.

“The female orgasm is an altered state of consciousness,” explains Dr Suzanne Mulvehill, Executive Director and Founder of The Female Orgasm Research Institute.

“Cannabis is a way of helping you relax, connect with your body and be more present in the moment.”

Mulvehill started researching the female orgasm after her own experience using cannabis to achieve it, focusing on how the plant can create orgasm frequency, ease and satisfaction, and publishing several theories about why cannabis is helping women orgasm.

One of these theories is the altered state of consciousness theory, exploring how THC can create an altered state of consciousness, and how it is a learned skill to be able to surrender into this state.

“Women in my survey would talk about how cannabis helps them get out of their head and really be present in their body,” said Mulvehill.

“When I first started learning how to use cannabis, that was one of my biggest challenges – learning how to surrender.”

One of Mulvehill’s research participants, Rebekah A, had to undergo a radical hysterectomy due to cervical cancer, which left her with pain, loss of sensation and a huge sense of grief.

I started having kind of mystical experiences from the combination of cannabis and the orgasms. I started experiencing all kinds of new forms of pleasure – waves of pleasure that I hadn’t experienced before.

“I felt a disconnect, like I couldn’t connect back to my body or my pleasure,” explains Rebekah.

“Plus, with the muscle tightness and scar tissue, it was a big deal. I had already been using cannabis because it became legal in Oregon around 10 years ago. When that happened, I started experimenting with edibles and vaping.

“So, I realised before my surgery that cannabis was adding an additional element of relaxation. It was helping me clear my head and be more present with my husband. I started having kind of mystical experiences from the combination of cannabis and the orgasms. I started experiencing all kinds of new forms of pleasure – waves of pleasure that I hadn’t experienced before.

“After my surgery, I started using cannabis more intentionally to help with my recovery – specifically to help me relax and feel more in the mood.

“I was rediscovering what was pleasurable and what felt good. As time went on, we discovered new things that I didn’t even know my body could do. So, we found a whole different way for orgasm.

“I think cannabis works on so many different levels – physiologically and mentally, and even in this mystical, spiritual way where it alters your consciousness and connects you to other kinds of resources that you have within your own self.”

Rebekah said there is a lack of understanding and support from medical professionals regarding female sexual anatomy and the potential benefits of cannabis for sexual wellbeing.

This, combined with societal stigma around female sexuality means there is an urgent need for broader awareness.

“Society has these narratives about, if you’re a woman who likes sex, you’re over sexed. So people don’t really talk about it,” says Rebekah.

“It’s very lonely to go through – this change – and doctors really don’t prepare you for it at all. When I tried talking with my doctors before the surgery, they had misinformation. They don’t acknowledge that some people do have an orgasmic cervix and that is going to be gone after this.”

After her experience, Rebekah launched a petition in Oregon which has now led to cannabis being added to the list of treatments in Oregon for Female Orgasm Disorder – a problem that affects 41% of women worldwide.

Mulvehill emphasised that shame is a huge factor around achieving orgasm, with many women faking orgasms instead of seeking help, and encouraged women to speak to partners about the problem and seek the right support to help remove this mental barrier.

“If we as women start speaking up and saying – Listen, I have this problem – we’re going to start facilitating our own growth and our own empowerment. And it really helps men instead of pretending, which is sending the wrong message,” concluded Mulevhill.

Continue reading...

Always nice to see these kinds of positive things. Always mind numbing to reflect on how women's needs have neglected and undermined by medicine over the decades and centuries.

Would be nice to see more menopause cannabis research funded in the future.

Back