• Open BETA, registration open. Please note, our forums use a separate account system compared to our main database for security purposes.

Non stick grinders

SamWard

Likes & Reactions
Clinic
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Mamedica®
Non stick grinders, any good and any suggestions? I have been looking at the slx but the price is steep

The price is just the quality it is what it is. I only ever owned two grinders. The first a crappy Head Chef that flaked. Second was a Space Case imported from the USA. Now that one cost me $100 7 yrs ago and i only recently cleaned it. Its as good as the day i bought it. With the spare o rings i bought i see this as a lifetime investment. They now cost nearly $200 though. :eek:

I have the black L one, 88mm total width. Its huge it grinds about 7g at a time. The pollen screen is also very good and the color ends up a blond which again is a mark of a quality screen.

I haven't tried a 'non-stick' grinder before, but doing some quick reading now it seems they use a sacrificial non-stick coating. No idea if this is something like Teflon, or a ceramic coating - but either way I would assume that it would degrade over time and may affect longevity.

It's worth looking into what exactly the non-stick coating is, and making sure it's not something toxic in itself. If not, it may be as bad as plastic grinders for putting unwanted particles in your grind over time.

I've used the same ~£5 zinc alloy grinder for over 10 years (with the pollen sieve detached), every 6 months or so I scrape it out, then douse in IPA to remove all the pollen from in-between the threads.

I had the exact same space case grinder in black as well. I had it for years but I gave to a friend and have missed it ever since, it’s silly but I miss it. For me the larger sized grinder is more comfortable to use, and great for storage but I grind small amounts these days and use the original tubs as storage 🤔

The coating on the non-stick grinders is my big concern and I don’t want to pay good money investing in a quality grinder for the coating to flake away 🤢

Spacecase anodized aluminium is non stick sort of i never had much stick. I presumed thats safe. I clean it with iso when i buy so if there was a non stick coating it would of came off ages ago. I dont think there is a any coating on space case though.

cooking pans is the sane all toxic, Just stick to Lodge Cast Iron.

Fell Iove with the Old Mate ozzy one. Expensive though, so I didn't get one. Reviews often claim it doesn't need cleaning and it's just raw stainless steel

Back